Friday, February 3, 2012

    Deciding what to take has been one of the more challenging aspects of preparing for this trip.  I've consulted dozens of websites that list out what other people brought on their round-the-world trips.  Some people go ultra-minimal, while others bring way too much.  They all say that less weight = more comfort, so I tried my best to pack only what I needed.



1.  REI 18L day pack
2.  Trash bags and zip lock bags
3.  Packable duffle bag (for checking the backpack on planes)
4.  Medicine, vitamins, first aid stuff
5.  Hiking boots
6.  Running shoes
7.  Chacos (in case I go to any YL camps)
8.  Bible, Moleskine, and sci-fi novel
9.  Sleeping bag liner
10.  Camera
11.  Small Eee-PC computer
12.  IPod Nano
13.  Power outlet adapters for NZ/Asia/Europe
14.  Combo lock
15.  Spare backpack belt buckel
16.  LED headlamp




1.  REI Rain Jacket
2.  Northface microfleece
3.  3 shirts (1 button down)
4.  2 long sleeve shirts (both button down)
5.  1 pair of pants
6.  1 pair of zipoff pants/shorts
7.  2 pair of shorts (1 boardshort)
8.  4 pairs of Exoficio underwear
9.  6 pairs of socks (1 running and 1 hiking)
10.  Absorbant travel towel

    And packing all of this into a REI Mars 80 backpack.  I'm carrying much less than 80 liters, but already had the backpack and can always strap it down smaller.  If I decide I need more or less, I can just buy it or trash it wherever I am.  I weight everything and it all came out to a little under 30 pounds.  I'm still contemplating another pair of shorts or pants and planning on buying a hat in NZ.  Suncreen might be a good buy too, being that I'm fair of skin.  Other than that, this is the final list unless I buy something tomorrow morning... REI is on the way to the airport.

    I'm not anxious or worried really, but just thinking to myself, "wow, I'm actually doing this..."  There's no turning back.  Like I said before, I just want to see what God has for me in all of this.

    The forecast calls for rain the whole time I'll be in Fiji... But, since Fiji is 18 hours ahead of Texas, I'll be watching it at 11:30 AM on a Monday morning!  It's the closest thing to being in America I'll find there, that's for sure.

1 comment:

  1. If I've learned anything from rooming with Tyler Kelly for two years, it's that Exoficio underwear will last you a good while even without a wash haha.

    ReplyDelete