Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bratislava, Vienna, and Prague

    I'm three countries behind on this blog, but like I always say, "sometimes you gotta be three countries behind on your blog."

    After Budapest, I went to Bratislava, Slovakia.  I had heard that the city was so so, but I like it a lot - Budapest was a big city, but Bratislava was much smaller and slower.  I happened to arrive in time to see Slovakia knock out Canada in the first round of the World Championship of hockey, and I stood there giving my approval.  These people were jacked up on hockey and singing the anthem everywhere.  Later that night I watched the USA lose to Finland in the last 8 seconds of the game, which sucked.  The worst part was that the pub across the street had tons of Finnish fans in it, but their TV had a 5 second delay from ours, and the seconds between me seeing the nail in the coffin and waiting for the impending celebration were pretty rough.  I walked out saying, "yeah well screw hockey anyways."

Line outside of US Embassy in Bratislava.  There was an old man handing out Oreos - a taste of freedom.

What was probably a beautiful public part at some point


    I had also heard that you could pretty much see everything in one day, and that part was true.  So on my second day there, I took a day trip to Vienna, Austria, which I also heard was doable in one day and "lacked personality."  Wrong.  Vienna might have been the most beautiful city I've seen so far.  I've seen some beautiful cathedrals and castles and museums in the last few weeks, but the ones in Vienna were nicer, more abundant, and right next to each other, which made for some beautiful views.  It was also a super bike friendly city, which of course attracted a fair amount of hipsters.  Everything in the city was at least twice as expensive as it would be in Bratislava, so I was glad I took a day trip, but I do wish I had some more time to see everything.

Don't know what this was, but it was beautiful

A small diagram of Minas Morgul

I wish my camera had a wider perspective

I watched some guys making a skating video, then get kicked out


    Usually I would have just stayed in Vienna and had to change very little, but I've started to feel the European travel season pressure.  I now book all my hostels at least a week in advance, whereas I used to not know what country I would be in until 2 days before.  I was locked into some good hostels in Prague (and already paid), so off I went.  There was a huge house/dance/trance music part called Sensation the first night I was there.  I planned to go, but changed my mind right before - it cost a lot, I would've had to buy and wear white clothes to get in, it didn't seem like fun to go alone, and I got ripped off by a money exchange place and lost the desire to go.  Instead, I went to an Irish pub to watch the Bayern München vs Chelsea soccer game, which was a lot of fun despite Robben and Sweinsteiger blowing it for Bayern.

Prague's astronomical clock

Powder Tower - used to hold gun powder


    The next day, I went on a walking tour with some Americans I had met at the hostel.  The tour was led by a Dutch guy named Tijo and he gave a good presentation of the city, complete with all the little known facts and interesting history.  We headed back to the hostel to relax and get ready for the cooking class that our hostel was having.  Our group joined with a group of Americans and Canadians who have been studying abroad in Germany for the last year, and together we made goulash with dumplings and marble cake.  It was really good, but while we were eating, my Uruguayan friends from over a week ago came in and were all, "JAAAAAMMMESSS!"  I sprang up and hugged them - they had seen my bag in the room and weren't surprised to see me, and I was so happy they were there.

Imitating a statue that the picture taker didn't think should be visible in the picture

Sebastian on the right and Elli next to him


    I spent the rest of the night with the Uruguayans, Elli and Sebastian, a Chilean guy, and two of the American girls I had been with that afternoon (they spoke Spanish as well).  We sat around from like 8 to midnight, talking about Spanish and South America, drinking mate and coffee, listening to Argentinian and Chilean music, and just having fun.  Elli has been teaching Sebastian English and me Spanish, getting me ready for when I go to Spain in a few weeks!  The whole day had been good, but hanging out with everyone that night was the most fun I'd had in a long time.

    The next day, I ate breakfast at the hostel with that same crew, then we all went our separate ways to explore the city.  I went to the castle side of the town and saw my favorite castle-church so far.  These churches are so big that it's impossible to take it all in, so you kind of have to find small things that you really like.  My favorite parts are the statues that poke out from the tops of the walls (I think they're a kind of gutter drain) - a very small and intricate part of a giant building, but I find them interesting.  This one had the best too - lions, dragons, demons, people, dogs, and all kinds of other animals.  I was stunned when I found a lobster, which was kind of hidden on the back side of the church next to another building.  I was happy to find something small that most people never see, even though it's the main attraction of the city.  It's small things like that that make site seeing fun.

Prague castle cathedral

Creepy gutter drains



Lobster gem


    I enjoyed my time in Prague, but mainly because of the people.  I didn't see much of the city, sticking to the downtown area, so it seemed way too touristy to me, and I came in with high expectations.  I even went to the Czech Beer Festival, but was pretty disappointed by it as well.  Then again, I did go on a Monday night (tonight, yes tonight).  Prague was nice, but I would rather go back to Ljubljana, Vienna, or Zagreb before going back to Prague.

    I'm in Berlin, Germany now (East Berlin, to be exact), but I hate making these posts really long, so this is a good stopping point.  


No comments:

Post a Comment