Thursday, May 31, 2012

"Ich bin ein Berliner" und "Brennt Paris!?"

    I fully wrote out a blog post for Berlin like 6 days ago, but didn't post it because I didn't upload any photos, then it just never happened.  So again, I hate making these posts long, but I did a lot in Berlin and Paris the last few days.  And if you don't know the quotes from the title of this post, go look them up!  Good history in them both.

    Everyone I had met around the world told me that the best city in Europe was Berlin - the city, the history, the people, the art, etc.  I was worried I was over-hyping it, but I wasn't, because it actually is the best.  I was there for 4 nights, but the only really touristy thing I did was go on a bike tour of the city, which was awesome to see the sites along with some background history, and because my guide reminded me of Wayne from Wayne's World at every stop.  Wayne and a girl from Prague (who by the way was a foreign exchange student at Westwood High School in Austin a few years ago!) marked on my map local food joints and hangouts that they recommended, mostly off the beaten path and void of tourists.

Main gate in Berlin: statue on top used to symbolize Peace, but now it symbolizes Victory

East side of the Berlin wall has planned street art

West side is covered in random graffiti


    So that's what I did - I chased dots on my map, ate tons of street food, drank tons of coffee and Club Mate (a sweet tea drink that local hipsters drank), and just enjoyed myself and the city.  I found some real hidden gems: an amazing park to slackline and throw the frisbee at, a beautiful river to sit and read at, and several petanque courts nearby where I sat and watched the locals play their strange game.  I can say with confidence that when I apply for jobs, I'll shoot a few over to companies in Berlin.

The river had lots of people sitting and reading

Really chill park at sunset

This is pretty much the essence of Berlin


    It was in Berlin that I noticed a striking change in the hostel demographic.  Simply put, more Americans.  People are getting out of school and it's Western Europe, so most of the travelers I meet now are with a couple of friends and only here for one or two weeks.  Before, especially in Asia, everyone was traveling for at least 2 months (usually 4-12) and either by themselves or with a boy/girlfriend.  I loved talking with these world travelers with completely different mindsets and lifestyles, and now that it's phasing out, I'm starting to realize how much of a blessing all that was.  Of course, there are still some great people to be met and plenty of things to learn from them, but it's just different.  And most people have been to Europe and spent a few weeks or months here and there, so the novelty and coolness of being in crazy places is pretty much over too.  Kind of a bummer, but everything is still fun and exciting, just in a different way.

    While I was writing part of this post in Berlin, a guy came up to me and said, "excuse me, are you Bonnie Prince Billy?"  I said, "what?"  He thought I looked like some musician that goes by Bonnie Prince Billy.  When I googled him, I realized he was right.  

    And like that, I was pulling away from Berlin on a night train to Paris.  Berlin marked the start of the touristy part of my trip, but Paris marked the start of my journey with friends, a welcome change.  First of all, I stayed for four nights with Preston Plachy and Ryan Bressler, who are both working for Fat Tire Bike Tours, at their flat that was 5 minutes from Moulin Rouge.  The first day, I saw the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, and did a night cruise down the river with Preston and his tour group.  Good start.  The next day I met up with a friend from TAMS who also went to UT, graduated in December, and took a world trip, just like me.  We were even in Queenstown, NZ at the same time and no idea until months later.  After that, I met up with Preston, Ryan, Ryan's Friendwood friend Emily, and a handful of other Fat Tire people at the park in front of the Eiffel Tower.  We showed up with some baguette, some cheese, and some wine at around 5:30 PM and, next thing you know, we were rushing to catch the last metro train at 12:30 AM.  We literally sat around talking and eating bread/cheese for 7 hours.  It was glorious.

My favorite, based on 1 Samuel 16:6-14



Chillin with the Texas crew (except for the girl on the far right)


    As if that wasn't enough, the next day I met up with two Parisians, Thomas and Adamine, who I had met in Nepal about a month or two ago.  We hopped the fence to a closed park and busted out more baguette and more cheese, but this time Adamine brought some slammin quiche and cake.  We sat there and watched the sun set down the road until security kicked us out a while later.  I got back a bit late, which in turned caused me to oversleep, destroying my plants to pick up Lauren Schoger and Elena Esparza from the airport.  After 5 or 6 hours, they made it to their hostel and we finally met up, which was actually pretty fast considering they had no clue where the hostel was and had no map.  I was proud of them.  We ate lunch, went to the Eiffel Tower, and like clockwork, bought some baguette and some cheese and took it back to Preston/Ryan's to avoid the rain.

This guy's power stance was at least a foot wider just before this picture, but it's still awesome

Adamine, Thomas, and myself

Get used to seeing these 3


    In summary: Berlin = bike and chill with Club Mate, Paris = friends and baguette with cheese.  There's not enough space here to talk about the super sketchy art gallery in Berlin, the 7 people in the 6 person sleeper cabin to Paris, the asian tourists at the Louvre, or the joy I felt just kickin it with people I knew and that knew me, but you get the picture.  It was a pretty good last week, one I'm very thankful for.

    Oh and I've had a lot of haters be all like "you really complained a lot about Nepal."  Well, that's because Nepal sucked.  But in all seriousness, the hike was truly amazing, the people I got to know were incredibly genuine and kind, and the small villages were so beautiful and a world of difference from the main cities.  So, I liked Nepal, but hated Kathmandu, and most of that was because I spent too much time there, kept getting sick, and it was the first time I really felt lonely and longed for somebody to be there to be with me.  But, that time in Kathmandu really did serve to humble me and God was definitely growing me through it.  I hated Kathmandu, but at the same time I'm super thankful for and cherish what God did there.

    I'm currently in Belgium with my uncle: tomorrow we take a day trip to Bruges, the next day I'm couchsurfing in Cologne, Germany, then meet back up with Lauren and Elena in Munich.  Going to be a pretty sweet next few days.




No comments:

Post a Comment